Will life be better or worse for you in 2011?
10% better or worse - While going through one of Michael Neill's online programmes, he said that when he asks his clients about what they expect in the year ahead, that what they tend to say equates to the year ahead being roughly 10% better or worse than the year before. This struck a chord with me and as I am looking to create a year ahead that will be radically different from the last year, I've been thinking about what is needed to make it so much better.
You might want to think about what would make it 25% or 50% or even 100% better. This might be about inconspicuous things like being more relaxed, having more fun, being more assertive, as well as more tangible activities like: spending more time with your friends and family; achieving specific goals in your life and at work; changing your job; moving house.
What would your life be like if it was 25%, 50% or 100% better this year?
‘Don't be afraid to take a big step. You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps' David Lloyd George.
Looking ahead to the next 20 years This year sees me celebrating the 20th anniversary of my business in October, and I spent the first half of 2010 thinking: ‘Things have got to change, some persistent problems of the last decade or so have to go!' Whether this is feast and famine syndrome of being self employed or the allergies I have experienced for the last 12 years!
Then in October I took part in Michael Neill's Create The Impossible in 30 Days programme, which was quite life transforming and on the right hand column you can read about some of the new products and services you will be able to access during 2011.
One of the outcomes is that I have decided to change the name of my business to Inspire Transformation, which is more fitting for what I plan to be doing with my clients over the coming years. Again see the right hand column for more about this.
What might be your long term goals, where do you want to be in 5, 10 or 20 years time? What do you need to be doing this year to move towards those longer term goals?
‘What will the future be like? No one knows the answer to that question. All we know is that the effects that will appear in the future are all contained in the causes that are made in the present. The important thing, therefore, is that we stand up and take action to achieve great objectives without allowing ourselves to be distracted or discouraged by immediate difficulties.' Daisaku Ikeda
What do you want to transform in yourself and your life in the coming year? In October I intend to have a 20th anniversary celebration to celebrate both my own and my clients' successes during the previous 10 months. Join me by setting yourself some stretching goals so that you really have something to celebrate in October.
- Do you want to take up a new hobby, interest or sport?
- Are there going to be challenges at work that you will need to rise to, which will involve you changing and developing new skills and capabilities?
- Or do you want to restart doing something you used to do that has got lost in the busyness of life?
- Are you looking to realise a dream?
- Are you looking to have a more balanced life? What might that mean for you?
- Are you looking to have more fun and lightness in your life?
The new products and programmes we are creating at Inspire Transformation will assist you in achieving those goals.
‘Insanity is doing the same thing, in the same way, while expecting different results' Chris Clarke-Epstein
Support yourself over the coming months - Often the reason that people do not achieve their New Year resolutions or goals is that they fail to think about how to support themselves in realising their goals over the coming months. Here are a few points to bear in mind:
- Expect obstacles – there does seem to be an unwritten rule in life that when you decide to make changes and transform something in your life, obstacles will arise. They could be internal (lack of energy, doubt, fear, ill health) or external (negative people, unexpected challenges). I find that expecting them as part of the process means that you are ready, waiting and prepared to overcome any obstacles that come your way.
- Learn from lapses and relapses – most of us give up on goals or New Year's resolutions because when we lapse or relapse we think: ‘That is it, I'm never going to change, this isn't going to work', and we fall at the first hurdle. One of my ‘Creating The Impossible' goals for October was to lose half a stone (I've only ever gradually put on weight, never lost it). The first weekend I found myself one evening noshing far too much, much more than was even usual. This lapse just showed me I had a lot to learn, and in the end I did lose the half a stone and have kept it off.
- What activities do you do that support you physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually? Take a holistic approach and make sure that you do activities that support you in different ways. For me, cycling, eating healthily and getting a good night's sleep is key to supporting myself physically and mentally. Writing in my journal, using a coach are some of the activities that support me mentally and emotionally. Spiritually, it is about whatever raises your spirits and keeps you motivated. It could be about being in nature, music, inspiring writings or spiritual practices.
- Surround yourself with supportive people: In making the changes in my life and my business I have drawn upon supportive and positive friends, family, colleagues, my business coach and other professionals who are supporting me in realising my dreams and goals in 2011. These people will also challenge my ideas and plans so that they provide the support and challenge I need to keep me on the path of transformation. Avoid sharing your ideas, goals and dreams with those who might throw cold water on them. Instead surround yourself with those who will fan the flames of your enthusiasm.
Take a look at the back issues of Inspire: There are five years of Inspire with lots of hints, tips and inspiration on a range of topics, which can support you on your journey. Click here to view them.
What support, inspiration and encouragement do you want? – As part of the process of re-launching my business as Inspire Transformation I am creating a number of new products and online programmes for individuals and organisations to buy. I would like to find out what challenges you currently face, and what support you are looking for. I have created a survey and I would really appreciate it if you could spare 5 minutes to complete. For the first 50 people to complete the survey they will receive a FREE e-booklet on Get Your Year Off To A Flying Start. Click this link 'Inspire Transformation Survey' to complete the survey. For my readers down under I will give away a free e-booklet to the first 10 people who complete the survey. I realised when I did the last freebie offer that due to the timing of Inspire being published that the readers in New Zealand lost out on the chance. So this way I can see when people complete the survey and identify the first 10 people from down under.
‘There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly.' Buckminster Fuller
For more information about Grovelands visit our website: www.inspiretransformation.co.uk or call Melanie on 01865 377334 or email email@example.com.